Bradford West Gwillimbury, Ontario, Canada
#BWG #Bradford #Ontario, Exploring the Countryside of Bradford West Gwillimbury, Bond Head, Coulson’s Hill, Deerhurst, Dunkerron, Green Valley, Newton Robinson, and Pinkerton.
What is Bradford – Carrot Fest? Where did it come from?
The Bradford West Gwillimbury Carrot Fest is one of the Ontario’s best festivals.
For the ninth consecutive year, it has been recognized as a Top 100 Festival by Festivals and Events in Ontario.
The annual event, features various activities, entertainment and vendors, celebrates the area’s agricultural heritage and the role carrots play in the BWG economy.
“Voted as one of the Top 100 events in Ontario by the Festival & Events Ontario for the last 9 years, Carrot Fest returns to Bradford West Gwillimbury! BWG’s 2019 Carrot Fest will take place in the downtown area and at the Bradford & District Memorial Community Centre at 125 Simcoe Road on Friday, August 16 and Saturday, August 17. The event includes a large vendor market with hundreds of vendors, Aqua Dogs, Professional Wrestling events, BMX Stunt Shows, Kids Zone, live stage entertainment and more!
The black organic soils of the Holland Marsh make Bradford West Gwillimbury one of Canada’s biggest carrot-producing regions and the ‘Heart of the Vegetable Industry’. Carrot Fest is a celebration of the region’s agricultural heritage, especially the role played by the carrot in the local economy. Carrot Fest is a way to bring the community together to celebrate, encourage participation and generate pride. What started as a merchant-based community has now developed into a historical event involving not only the residents but people from the global community.”- Source carrotfest.ca
On August 15, 2019, on behalf of the BWG Local History Association, the ‘Bradford 1900’ map was presented, ‘ In Appreciation’ to the BWG Planning and Development Engineering Department. (It will replace the laminate version as seen on the wall). This map was first published in 1977 and the information compiled by long-time Bradford resident Fred Collings.
A copy of this map will be on display during Carrotfest 2019 at the BWG Local History Association booth. This map is available (special order) through the Bradford Print Shoppe in plaque form for only $45
CANADIAN NATIONAL PEACEKEEPERS DAY Friday, August 9, 2019
The honourary flag-raising ceremony took place on Wednesday, July 31 at 6:00 pm at Sunshine Square on Brian Collier Way at the Bradford West Gwillimbury Leisure Centre.
CANADIAN NATIONAL PEACEKEEPERS DAY Friday, August 9, 2019
WHEREAS: We raise the United Nations flag on behalf of the past, present and future peacekeepers residing in Central Ontario; and
WHEREAS: On August 9, 1974, an aircraft was shot down during peacekeeping duties, ultimately killing all nine personnel on board. It was and still is the largest loss of Canadian Peacekeepers in a single day. Cpl B.K. Stringer and WO C.B. Korejwo were two soldiers from this area that made the supreme sacrifice; and
WHEREAS: The United Nations flag is raised and flown to honour the memory of the many Canadians who have given their lives in the service of peace. It also demonstrates our continued support of the brave men and women who are currently on active duty in foreign lands; and
WHEREAS: We continue to recognize our home town hero, Sapper Brian Collier, amongst the Canadian soldiers who have lost their lives while serving in Afghanistan.
Forevermore, may we honour their sacrifice and the sacrifices made by their families and loved ones at home.
THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED: That His Worship Mayor Rob Keffer and Members of Council proclaim August 4-10, 2019 as PEACEKEEPERS WEEK in the Town of Bradford West Gwillimbury, and recognize August 9 as CANADIAN NATIONAL PEACEKEEPERS DAY.
In 1819, a group of Scottish and Irish settlers arrived in Upper Canada, and developed the area known today as the “Scotch Settlement”
The Auld Kirk Church is located on the south half of Lot 8 on Concession 6 of West Gwillimbury. In 1819, a group of Scottish and Irish settlers arrived in Upper Canada, and developed the area known today as the “Scotch Settlement”. After the initial goal of building homes to fulfil the stipulation of the land grants, their thoughts turned toward building a church and school to educate their children. In 1822, the land was obtained from John Faris, an Irish farmer, for a graveyard. In 1823, a log church was built on the land, and it also served as a schoolhouse during the winter months. This building, which was later moved to a different location, was the first school and church in Simcoe County. The congregation first met On January 6, 1822. James Sutherland, a settler, was authorized by the Church of Scotland to conduct baptisms and marriages until there was a settled minister. The first settled pastor was not until 1831. In 1832, they decided to send for a minister from the Established Church of Scotland, which resulted in a split in the congregation, and a new Church being formed in Bond Head. The remaining congregation stayed true to the belief’s of the Church of Scotland, and the church never had an organ, and only Psalms were sung, not written hymns. All of the sermons were long and in Gaelic and were interpreted. In 1869, the present church was built costing $1000 to the congregation. Due to dwindling numbers, the church was closed in 1885. A new roof was put on in 1912, and in 1929, shutters were put on the church and the doors repaired. A fence was also put around the cemetery, and the driving shed was moved to a local farm where it still exists today. Another restoration of the church was done in 1958, when a new roof was put on, the windows were put back in, new steps were built, it was painted inside and out, and the floor was jacked up. Two plaques were dedicated in 1958. One was unveiled by Henry McKay in honour of his aunt and uncle, Mr. and Mrs. James McKay, some of the first settlers. The other was unveiled by Angus Campbell, for the Ontario Government’s recognition of the Selkirk Settlers.
In 1815 some 140 Highland Scots from Lord Selkirk’s Red River Settlement, disheartened by crop failures and the opposition of the North West Company, moved to Upper Canada. Transported in the Nor’Westers’ canoes, they disembarked at Holland Landing in September. They found temporary employment in the Yonge Street settlements but in 1819 many took up land in West Gwillimbury. In 1823 Presbyterian services were held in a building on this site which was replaced by a frame church in 1827. The present structure was completed in 1869. Check out the Full album located here at this link on Facebook. Scotch Settlement 200th Anniversary Album